Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Walk on...,

So between the time of selling our home in January and moving into the new one in March, my dear husband had the idea of renting different properties to explore our favorite parts of town - the beach and Riverside. These are two very distinct parts of Jacksonville but both have one thing in common - you can walk to everything - something we love and had missed in our lives.

January was our beach month and oh what fun we had. No only were the people good looking, no really, but incredibly friendly too. Everyone was either walking their dogs, running or skateboarding...getting the most of the great outdoors. And the vibe of the beach is so incredibly laid back. I don't know what it is. The salty air? The swaying palms? The morning birds? You just immediately feel calm and at peace even if you are in the crabbiest of moods.

And because about 90% of our stuff is in storage right now, we suddenly have time on our hands. Did I say that out loud?! Time? Us? It's quite a beautiful thing not to have to figure out where eight pieces of Tupperware should go or why eight pairs of socks are missing their partners. I for one have brought the least amount of clothing and I couldn't be happier. Getting the kids ready with only their limited options is pure joy for any mom, especially me, I love things simple.


So back to the beach...we collected shells, played ball, stared at distant ships and watched birds fly by. We walked to restaurants for dinner, for breakfast and I even went to my first Dairy Queen! Yeah, I'm usually quite late to discover things...I was proud of myself for visiting almost every small business on A1A and supporting quite of a few of them with great items for myself and our future home. It's something I don't get time to do regularly and as a business owner myself, supporting others feels good.

Now we've shifted to Riverside, lots of walking and a riverfront park right across, but a different vibe. I have yet to walk over to the shops - such a cool eclectic mix - in fact, so cool, I hope I fit in.

What I've learned so far is that being "stuffless", not a word,, but you get what I mean, is so incredibly liberating. It's like you lose this imaginary weight from your mind and body. I know we are going to enjoy this last month being renters and I am going to keep my commitment to living lighter. Goodwill is my best friend - the guys there actually recognize us!

I'll write soon again, but if I don't, I might be outside walking...

No comments: