Saturday, February 20, 2016

Fifty-one Days

It's 51 days into the new year and I'm profoundly happy to say that all five of my senses have been thoroughly engaged. It's not easy...for I can be a strange mix of happy-go-lucky and goofy alongside being dark and deep. My stratosphere can be quite mundane at times...you know...to and from school, grocery store visits, errands, laundry, to-do lists...all those fabulous things. I sprinkle them with girlfriend coffee dates, lunches, business meetings and insightful long walks or drives. Then there is my work, my most creative side to life and what I love doing most. But with all the facets of my life...my mind is a wanderer and oh how I love to let it go and take in what's around me. And so...in 51 days this is what has enamored me:

Touch:
  • discovered that I still really do love clean counter tops that have no crumbs on them
  • said goodbye to itchy shapeless stuff and hello to Goodwill
  • indulging in the softest of cottons
  • taking in as many hugs from my kids as possible and from those I love too
  • quite often asking for a hug or offering a handshake can make someone else's day
Sight:
  • discovered that the sheer sight of a really powerful tire just gets me
  • enjoying every tractor and construction site I get to joyfully pass by
  • taking in the evening sunsets and the quiet softness they add to the sky
  • my subscription to The Economist...yes!
  • Jacksonville's seven bridges, just love each one
  • my pics from California, my home state always
  • music videos and movies, thank you You Tube and Netflix
Sound:
  • discovered new music via the Subterranean channel on TV = happy girl
  • re- connected with Sade, old jazz favorites and my Cd's of classical music
  • opening the windows and soaking in the sweet sounds of nature and construction
  • overhead helicopters and small passenger planes...music to my ears
  • the Blue Angels' flight sounds...wow
Taste:
  • discovered rose wine, delicate and a bit fruity
  • mid-day martini, absolutely
  • baking croissants at home with cheese inside, yummy 
  • freshly squeezed oranges from our garden, the first five that grew were so sweet, more to come
  • nestle toll house cookies and Betty Crocker cakes, enough said
  • chocolate lava cake at Al's Pizza, pure heaven
  • Ferraro Rocher chocolates, not just for Christmas
Smell:
  • discovered a cappuccino candle, heavenly
  • fresh laundry piled high...mmmmmm
  • the freshness of nature in the woods, on a long walk
  • anything baking, preferably a cheese pizza or chocolate chip cookies
  • fresh morning air, when it's chilly and a bit foggy
  • remembering my parents' scent of Oil of Olay and cloves

Train tracks and fallen leaves...sight, sound, touch, smell, taste...



No comments: