Three Wise Men
Okay, these are not the three wise men you are thinking of from way, way back. But rather, these are three strangers that left me quite an impact...let's start...(to save time, I didn't add the conversational quotations!)
November: I was visiting a house inspection, something I really love as I love all things construction. When I finished, I nearly fell into a hole of mud in the front yard. A few men were doing the landscape when an elderly man said, Oooohhh, you be careful! I would'a caught you right up in my arms! I laughed and replied, yeah, that's just how clumsy I am! This is what I love about these hardworking individuals. Rain or shine, hot or cold, they are out there working with the happiest of disposition. This gentleman was easily in his 60's and yet had the demeanor of someone whose grandkids must gather around to hear great stories at night. I pictured him playing at a jazz club somewhere but that's just me. A stranger to me but what an impression of sweetness he made.
December: Yes, I had been watching quite a many Hallmark Christmas movies with my kiddos. Santa was in every form in those movies...influencing lives, adding positivity, taking the bad out of the good...all that stuff. A usual day at Gap Kids became a Hallmark movie moment. A lovely senior couple walked in. As a good employee, I greeted them and asked if they needed any help. The gentleman smiled proudly and said his wife did all the shopping and he did all the paying. I instantly loved his sense of playful humor. As she shopped, he came over to the cash register where Katie and me were chatting about store logistics. I knew he was up for conversation so I asked about his grandkids...with a hearty smile I got to know all about them! Following that was the description of his kids, all in their forties, married...he said he taught them that trust was the #1 one thing to always have in a marriage. He points to his wife and says, fifty years and never once did I question anything. He adds with a chuckle, and she's more beautiful now than she was before! I told him I add would one more thing to trust and that was respect. To that he replies, YES! If someone is not respecting you, making you feel down, leave them! And with that, his wife swiftly said it was time to go. I smiled and said, you were meant to come in today, weren't you? He smiles just like Santa Clause would and says, I sure was. I know for sure, he was Santa. That message could only be delivered by someone who was makin' a list and checkin' it twice.
January: I had just finished three hours of emceeing a Chinese New Year's event at the mall. It was absolutely amazing but boy was I exhausted and very very hungry! I head straight for the food court and settled on a toasted Subway veggie sandwich. After I paid, the sweet kid who made my sandwich smiled and said, did anyone tell you you look beautiful today? I laughed and said, no! Well, you look beautiful...do you work in the mall? No, I said, and told him about the event I just came from. I told him he made my day and thanked him. Let me just say, what a brave soul. I hope that kid goes far in life...too often people are scared to say what they want to and I really applaud someone with guts like his.
So these are the three wise men...strangers that I will most likely never see again. But guess what? They are no stranger to kindness, bravery and humor and those are the three wisest things one can have, no?
No comments:
Post a Comment