
(This was me on a graduation trip in beautiful Monterey, CA)
The same way people are fascinated with wide open spaces outdoors, I am fascinated with wide open spaces at home. I am amazed at the power of a large room or even a small one that is open and full of light and depth. Of course, the power that stems from this only comes when you are in it alone. It's a familiar thing to hear people say, "I need some space!" "I need time alone!" Everyone needs it. It's in that alone time that we get things done, can relax in our own way or think things through.
I equate my ability to manage the day-to-day with how much of that special space I get. I mumble my thanks to God every second because between housework, business responsibilities, errands and taking care of family, any space I can squeeze in is very valuable to me. I absolutely love collapsing on our family room sofa or our bed upstairs with a magazine. That time to me is when I know all my work is done and the world is okay. Sounds funny, I know, but I'm sure you have a special something you enjoy doing when you are done with your chores and it's just you and the space around to fiddle in.
My husband can tell right away when I haven't had that special time for me. I get crabby, disorganized and eat more chocolate than I should. But as soon as that solitary moment arrives, I'm aglow with energy. My sweet Saloni for four days over the weekend and being by her side was wonderful. Cuddling a child when they aren't well is such a tender feeling. But having her head back to school today had me revved up...after all, I was back in my space. My special space.
No comments:
Post a Comment