Monday, August 31, 2009

Home sweet Home
















Visiting California is emotional for me no matter what the occasion. It feels every street is telling me a story as I pass by. All the grown trees nod, old stores I use to shop at beckon...these are my old grounds and lots of memories are embedded here.

So going back home to see my parents the first week of August was even more emotional as I was worried whether my Pappa would remember me or not. It still shocks me when I think of their heart attacks in November of 08' and the effect it left on them. While Mom went back to her ways, Dad, well, he got the worst of it with dementia and brain damage.

The first part of my trip was just me and Sohan. Sunil joined me with Saloni and I gotta tell you that kids can literally save the day. If I couldn't get my Dad to laugh, these kids definitely did. Their goofy and unexpected behavior was just what any doctor would order. And even though my Dad is quieter than ever, Saloni and Sohan didn't shy away from him thankfully. My favorite line of all was from Saloni when my Mom asked her if she remembered them, Saloni exclaimed, "Of course I do! I've been here before! Remember?" It was so cute!

I was so happy that I came. Honestly, this was a very satisfying trip in that I got to see face to face their day-to-day living and meet their fantastic home healthcare aide, Vida. She is a Godsend and a huge help to my parents. Meeting her and talking to her about my parents was instant relief. All the things I was stressing about being 3000 miles away almost melted away. Not that I don't worry about my parents every minute of the day, but knowing they are in good hands made it easier.
We took them to 6 restaurants in a week! And to an Indian music concert, shopping, errands...wherever we thought would get them out of the house and feeling the sun on their face. I just think that simple act can make you feel so good, you know? The organizer in me couldn't help but organize a lot of their closets too...we had a trunkload of stuff we took to Goodwill. But we made a sort of morning trip out of it by first going to McDonald's and getting coffee and hashbrowns for everyone...honestly, the look on my parents faces was like kids eating candy after Halloween. I'll never forget it. I love you Mummy and Pappa...and even though you may not remember this visit Pappa...somewhere in the back of your mind, just remember you are always with us.

No comments: