Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Calmness of Cleaning

I know for a fact that most of us have read about the calmness and peace derived from cleaning. The "aha" you get from seeing cleared off counter tops and desks. And the joy of finding lost treasures buried under mounds of stuff. Just where does all this stuff come from? I finally got rid of old floppy disks and CDs that were used to download software from years ago. Yipee! New shelf space.

My sisters have a great rule: for every new item that enters the house, an old item must go. I think our love of donating must be genetic as my Mom is wonderful at giving away things whether it's to friends, family or the Salvation Army. I'm at Goodwill almost every month. And when those choice items leave our house, I feel as though I've shed a few pounds. Even better, I can actually see the back wall of the closet. Who knew that could be exciting? And as the sentimental girl that I am, I often wonder who wound up with my old blender, my college sweater or my old books. Sometimes I think it would be neat to attach a phone number to the item. Imagine getting a call from someone to tell you they love the desk you parted with. What great stories could be shared!

Speaking of stories, it's time for me to get out the story books to read to Saloni. It's my time to reward myself with a cup of coffee and my favorite Trader Joe's Chocolate Coated Chocolate Chip Dunkers - pure pleasure. I love sitting on the sofa in the middle of our family room to enjoy this moment before I pick her up from school. I certainly won't be donating my coffee cups anytime soon...

No comments: