Friday, January 25, 2008

Subtraction Equals Addition

Have you ever removed an item from a room and suddenly were welcomed with a whole new perspective? I love the scene in the movie, "Dead Poet's Society" when Robin Williams asks students to stand on their desks to get a different view of the classroom. He insists that they see things from different vantage points to get different views in life. That scene will always be implanted in my mind.

When a friend of mine suggested that I move my craft table out of my studio and into the patio, where it could be put to more entertaining use, I jumped on the idea. I've been ignoring the reality that this table was becoming nothing more than a dumping ground for incoming mail, things to file, fabrics to put away and a sewing machine that needed serious dusting off. Although my husband was surprised with the move, we had a wonderful dinner the very next evening. Saloni loved have her high chair outdoors and just being among our trees, the sky and nature made dinner last longer and taste better.

Back in the studio, without the table, I was forced to put everything away. Within a week, I filed, cleaned, sorted and suddenly, the room looked like the original guest room it started out as. I was thrilled! This also gave me the much needed impetus to delve back into my fabrics and notions of which I have enough to create a store the size of Joann's Fabrics! Now I know that taking something away actually leads to more of something great.

No comments: